A Track Record Of Successful Results
Photo of Joshua Nielsen
Photo of Joshua Nielsen
Photo of Joshua Nielsen

I received a letter from DMV that says my license is or will be suspended or revoked what do I do?

by | Feb 29, 2016 | Traffic Violations

These dreaded letters come when a number of things might have occurred, here are a few:

  1. You have refused to take a chemical breath analysis when charged with a DWI
    1. If this is so, YOU MUST request a hearing within 10 days of the post mark on the letter and call a lawyer immediately.
  1. You have failed to pay a traffic ticket – maybe you went to court and even pled guilty or responsible to a certain traffic offense but forgot to pay it? Pay it and get your license reinstated by the date on the letter to avoid revocation or suspension.
  1. You did not go to court to take care of a traffic ticket – speeding, lane violation, unsafe movement, even seatbelt tickets can cause your license to be suspended for having a Failure to Appear.
  1. What if I have an out-of-state license can North Carolina still suspend me for not coming to court? – the short answer is yes. Although North Carolina would lack jurisdiction over your state’s department of motor vehicles or whatever entity governs licensing, it can revoke your privilege to drive within THIS state and that can in turn revoke your license in your state under reciprocity laws.
  1. Child Support – if you have not paid your child support the State of North Carolina may suspend or revoke your driving privileges.

There are typically costs with doing what is known as “Striking the Failure to Appear” if that is your issue and there are also additional fines if you fail to pay for your ticket within 20 or 40 days. After 40 days, you will likely receive a letter at your last registered address.

An experienced local attorney can help with all of these problems and we at Nielsen Legal are proud to help you out if you are facing any of these issues.