A Track Record Of Successful Results
Photo of Joshua Nielsen
Photo of Joshua Nielsen
Photo of Joshua Nielsen

Can I Get Removed from the Sex Offender Registry?

by | Feb 29, 2016 | criminal defense

Undoubtedly, the Sex Offender Registry is one of the harshest punishments that continues after or beyond prison. The ramifications and long-lasting effects impact not only the individual but also the person’s children, family members and makes finding housing or obtaining employment very difficult.

But, there is relief and something you can do to get yourself off the Registry.

In North Carolina, one becomes eligible for removal after 10 years of being on the Sex Offender Registry, or SOR. However, there are exceptions to this rule. While some people become eligible between the 10-15 year mark, others do not qualify. The Federal Government overlaps on some issues with the state and while North Carolina used to allow for easy removal or state initiated removal, one now must petition to get off the SOR.

What your lawyer will need to know:

  • Date of Conviction (date the judge enters your sentence)
  • What you were convicted of (the name of the crime)
  • Have you been convicted of ANYTHING (except traffic tickets) after this conviction
  • What County and/or State you were convicted in
  • Your full name
  • Other descriptors about your person and personal information

The type of crime you were convicted of will be classified as Tier 1 – Tier 3. These Tiers and the classification of the type of conviction are very important as Tier 3 crimes can never be removed. These types of convictions, Tier 3, are typically very violent sexual crimes or involve sex trafficking. Tier 1 offenses are the convictions that are eligible for removal after 10 years. These are typically non-violent offenses such as indecent liberties with a child or things such as that. Tier 2 offenses are very vague as the Federal government only classifies them as not Tier 1 or Tier 3, so in theory it is any type of conviction/crime that does not squarely fall within either of the categories.

The best thing you can do for yourself if you are interested in getting off the Sex Offender Registry, or SOR, is to call an attorney who handles these types of cases and knows the procedure and process.

If you would like to speak to Joshua Nielsen please call 828-246-9360 today to set up a consultation.